Going By The Book
- Original Title: 바르게 살자
- DVD (Region 1, Two-Disc Special Edition)
- Street Date: 4/16/2013
- Feature Runtime: 103 minutes, exclusive of bonus material.
- Genre: Comedy
- Suggested Rating: 15+
- Country of Origin: South Korea
- Year of Release: 2007
- Audio: Korean (Dolby Digital 5.1)
- Subtitles: On/off English subs and on-screen translations
- Video: 2.35:1 Anamorphic widescreen, Color
- Suggested Retail: $29.99
- Photos & Trailer
About GOING BY THE BOOKPress Release (pdf)
COPS vs. [Cop pretending to be a] ROBBER!
Sam-po is a small town with a major problem. Its banks are increasingly targeted by armed robbers, and local law enforcement's efforts to address the issue have been nonexistent. Incoming police chief LEE Seung-woo (SON Byung-ho, The Good, The Bad, The Weird) initiates an ambitious plan to send a message to the criminals and win the confidence of the townspeople. Every member of his force will participate in a "Bank Robbery Simulation" - unscripted training involving bank personnel and customers, plus a lone cop playing the role of the crook. And the new chief thinks he knows the right man for the job...
By-the-book patrolman JUNG Do-man (JUNG Jae-young, Moss) is dismayed to find he has been personally selected for this role. But when the dedicated officer is told to "do his best," what was meant to be a simple role-playing exercise quickly spirals into a nationally televised event!
Includes the feature film plus more than an hour and 45 minutes of video extras, all with on/off English subtitles!
Think Right, A Simulated Bank Robbery: The Making of Going By the Book, The Way He Goes By the Book, Cheerful Hostages & Distressing Police, deleted scenes with on/off director's commentary, poster shoot video, production announcement (premiere and press conference), animated promotional short, music video, original South Korean trailer, and cast and crew bios, plus 5 Points Pictures trailers.
- 2008 Max Movie Awards
- Best Actor: Jung Jae-young
- 2008 Udine Far East Film
- 2008 Filmasia Film Festival
- 2008 Fantasia Film Festival
Going by the Book © 2007 CJ Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- Presented by: CJ Entertainment
- Produced by: Film It Suda (The Recipe; Welcome to Dongmakgol)
- Directed by: RA Hee-chan (Mr. Idol)
- Original story by: Kunihiko TOI, Hiroshi SAITO (Japanese film "Bang!" a.k.a. "Asobi no Jikan wa Owaranai")
- Screenplay by: JANG Jin (Guns and Talks; Righteous Ties), LEE Gyu-bok
- JUNG Jae-young (Moss; Righteous Ties; Castaway on the Moon; Glove)
- SON Byung-ho (The Good, The Bad, The Weird; May 18; R-Point; Spider Forest)
- LEE Young-eun (Doomsday Book; To the Beautiful You TV)